Dispelling the Myths of Hospice care
There are many myths surrounding Hospice care, hopefully the
following information will help to clarify the role of the Hospice
in Bailiwick life:
- More than 50% of our patients come into the Hospice for
respite, to help recover from treatment, to help control pain or
just to give themselves or their carers a rest - we do not just
offer end of life care
- Our Day Care facilities are available to anyone with a
life limiting illness who has a need for day care and is currently
available on two days each week.
- Money donated to Les Bourgs Hospice or the Friends of Les
Bourgs Hospice is used solely by the Hospice to maintain the
facilities we have on offer and to improve them in the future.
- We are a registered charity, we do not charge our patients or
their families for any of our care or other services. There
are no private patients in the Hospice, everyone receives the same
level of care from us and our staff. The only costs that may
be incurred are from GP visits and other therapists, all Hospice
care is free of charge.
- Les Bourgs Hospice is not linked to any particular church or
religion, we support all beliefs within the Hospice and both invite
and welcome all denomiations to visit and hold services in our
- Les Bourgs Hospice does not receive any funding from the States
of Guernsey, it needs to raise £1,100,000 PA by fundraising and
donations. A large part of our income is from the Mont Arrive
store and the Bridge Shop and also from large events run by the
Friends of Les Bourgs Hospice, the Hospice and also the general
Public such as the Rock to Rocque Cycle ride, 30 30 cycle
challenge, 30 runs, 30 walks and the 30 bays events.
- Les Bourgs Hospice is registered and inspected by Health and
Social Services with regular visits from the Registration Officer,
Chief Pharmacist and Infection Control.